You will need:
- 100g 4ply wool (for 2.5mm needles) ( I think I only used about 80g in the end)
- 2.5mm double pointed needles (x5-6)
- wool needle for finishing
Tension – 36sts & 48 rows to 10cm using 2.5mm needles
Ribbing – cast on 60sts and divide evenly over 3 needles. Bringing in a 4th needle k2, p2 for as long as you want the ribbing of your sock. Then continue in k. In total you want 73 rounds.
Heel Flap – K15, turn, slip 1st st, p29, turn. slip 1st st, k29, turn – repeat 14 times (30 rows)
Shaping the heel –
- slip first st, p16, p2tog, p1, turn
- slip first st, k5, Ssk2tog, K1, turn
- slip first st, p6, p2tog, p1, turn
- slip first st, k7, Ssk2tog, K1, turn
- slip first st, p8, p2tog, p1, turn
- slip first st, k9, Ssk2tog, K1, turn
until all the stitches are included – should end up with 18 stitches.
Gusset – pick up 15 st knitwise from the end of the heel flap to the cuff. Place a marker (I use a different coloured bit of wool). k the 30 st you have on the needles. Place a marker. Pick up another 15 st from the cuff up to the heel flap. Arrange these 78 st over the needles (I use 5 now).
- – k to 3 stitches before 1st marker. K2tog, k1, k to next marker, k1, Ssk2tog, K to end of round.
- Row 2 – k
Repeat 1 and 2 until you have 60 st on your needles (finish on a round of k)
Foot – k48
Toe Shaping –
- k to 3 sts before 1st marker, k2tog, k1 (slip marker), K1, Ssk2tog, k to 3st before next marker, k2tog, k1 (slip marker), K1, Ssk2tog, k to end.
Repeat 1&2 until 24 sts left (end on a round of k)
cut your yarn leaving 20cm
Grafting toes – hold your 2 needles parallel. Starting at the other end from your dangling wool…Using one of your needles or crochet hook, take the first st from the front needle. Pull the 1st st from the back needle through it and let go of the first st.then put the next st from the front needle through this st, letting go of that 1st st from the back needle. Then take the next st from the back needle and pull it through the st you are holding. You are making a chain – continue until you are left with the last st. Then use the dangling wool to sew this into the body of the sock.
Sew in the dangling wool from the start of your knitting.
Make another one!